It seems to me that there is a Domino Theory haunting the minds of US vaccine authorities: they worry that if people refuse one vaccine, sooner or later they will refuse them all, and influenza vaccine is a special case. Left to their own devices, just 43% of US healthcare workers, including doctors and nurses, get the flu shot; this is a poor example for the general public, who may wonder why the other 57% don't get this "lifesaving vaccine." Thus, authorities ignore the evidence in setting what some of us consider a draconian policy mandating flu shots for healthcare workers. I remind you that we still do not know if seasonal flu shots actually do more good than harm in the long run, for healthcare workers or anyone else.
Competing interests: No competing interests